Disclaimer: I received an entry into the San Diego – Craft Classic as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro(ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews! All opinions are my own.
Hooray! We are exactly one week until the San Diego Craft Classic half marathon! And judging from this past weekend’s weather of 80°F, I’m going to say that it’s going to be a warm one. LOL. Damn. I will probably be checking the forecast all week long in hopes that the temperature goes down. Ack. Thankfully, the half marathon starts at 6:30 am and I’m hoping it won’t heat up too quickly. My fingers will be crossed. 🙂
Goal for this race: Training has been pretty consistent. I’ve maintained a weekly mileage of at least 21 miles a week for the past several months so I have a fairly strong base for the race. I think that this race’s goal will be to try and run the race somewhere between 2:00 and 2:10 though. I know I can run a sub 2 half, but I’ve decided on this goal for three reasons.
- I don’t want to put myself at risk for heat stroke. I don’t fare too well in heat and humidity as indicated by my AFC race a few years ago. Preventing heat stroke will my main priority. If I feel myself overheating, I will definitely slow down or even start walking.
- I will NOT be tapering this week. As wrong as it feels to not taper the week before a race, I’m trying to focus on the long game, which is to run the Chicago marathon with a sub 4 time. Hanson’s marathon method schedules me for 39 miles this week and I’m trying to stick to that as much as I can.
- I need to continue marathon training. Again, this is my long game. I’m trying to treat this race as more of a training run. I will be running it a little harder than my easy runs because it is a race afterall, but I will try and pace myself so that I have enough energy to continue the runs for the upcoming week.
Things I’m looking forward to:
- Medal – The medal is a BOTTLE OPENER! Sticking true to the theme of a beer run, the front of their medal is in the shape of a tap handle and the back is a bottle opener. I’m such a sucker for unique medals. 🙂
- The hill at mile 10 to 11 – LOL. As crazy as it sounds, I am actually kind of excited to test my running skills on this hill. I just found out about this recently, but apparently there’s a massive hill and I want to see if my training has paid off. (I’m hoping it has).
- Meeting up with friends – Some people I’ve been running my long runs with are signed up for this race so I’m excited to see some friendly faces among the crowd. 🙂
- Finishing my 15th half marathon – Yep. I said it guys and gals. This will be my 15th half marathon. Yay! 🙂
If you haven’t signed up and want to sign up online, you can do so until Wednesday, July 12th. You can use the code BIBRAVEHALF for $10 off your half marathon entry fee or use code BIBRAVE5k for $5 off your 5k entry fee.
Question of the day: Have you run a summer race yet? How did it go?